Foul play ruled out in last week’s explosion in Oneida County
Star Journal staff
UPDATE: Foul play is not suspected in the explosion that was felt throughout a town of Sugar Camp neighborhood last Friday. Preliminary results from the Division of Criminal Investigation-Office of the State Fire Marshall indicate that a gas vapor leak caused the explosion at 5078 Sand Lake Road. The home had a propane tank. The investigation is continuing.
An explosion in the town of Sugar Camp early Friday morning left one home destroyed, two homes with extensive damage and broke windows at nearby homes, according to the Oneida County Sheriff’s office.
The Dispatch Center received a 911 call approximately 4:46 a.m., from a caller who stated he had broken windows in his house. Upon arrival by emergency personnel, it was found that the house located at 5078 Sand Lake Road in the town of Sugar Camp was destroyed and there was a small fire in the basement. There was no one at the house at the time of the explosion as this is a seasonal home. Five other homes in the neighborhood were also damaged with one receiving extensive damage. There have been no reported injuries due to the explosion.
The Oneida County Sheriff’s Office, Oneida County Emergency Management, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Wisconsin Public Service, Oneida County Medic 1 and Medic 11, Sugar Camp Fire Department, Three Lakes Fire Department, and Newbold Fire Department assisted at the scene.
The explosion remains under investigation by the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office and the Division of Criminal Investigations-Office of State Fire Marshall.