Making Tracks: From the director
By Bill Clow
Executive Director, Rhinelander Chamber of Commerce
First of all, I want to say hello and introduce myself. I am Bill Clow, the new Executive Director for the Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce (RACC). I am new to the area, although I have visited several times in the past. I am looking forward to getting to know the Rhinelander area, meeting lots of people and helping to support and promote the member businesses of RACC! Please give me a call or stop by the Chamber office if there is anything we can help you with!
New Year’s Resolution
The holiday leftovers and guests are all gone. As you review, break and revise your New Year’s resolutions, the Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce would like to suggest a resolution that is actually easy and fun to keep! Shop local whenever you can! Shopping local has many benefits:
1.Your Money Re-circulates: Much more money stays in Rhinelander when our purchases are made with local businesses.
2. Rhinelander businesses employ local people – your family, your neighbors, your friends, YOU!
3. One-of-a-Kind: Rhinelander has businesses that provide distinct and unique products and services that make up part of the magic of Hodag country!
4. Community Benefits: Local businesses invest in the Rhinelander community.
5. Supports Local Businesses – Shopping local is a great way to support your hometown!
I’ll describe more advantages to shopping local in my next column.
Hobby Lobby Job Fair
Hobby Lobby is accepting applications for new store temporary setup help with opportunities for full- and part-time positions. Interested applicants should apply in person from 9 to 5 this Monday, January 11 through Friday, January 15 at the new store at 2209 Lincoln Street in Rhinelander.
Weather, Trails and Ice
Although we didn’t get the white Christmas everyone was hoping for, the weather in the last few weeks has taken a decidedly more Northwoods turn. We are getting more visitors and calls asking about ski and snowmobile trails. If you are looking for trail maps or ideas for a post ice fishing meal, stop by the chamber office and we can get you the information you need!
If you are participating in winter sports, please use caution. The warmer than usual November and December has made ice thinner than usual for January. Some snowmobile trails are still closed. If you are not a participant of winter sports, please be careful for skiers and snowmobilers who may be crossing roads or hauling trailers.
Mark Your Calendar
There is always a lot going on in the Rhinelander area. I want to highlight a few events you won’t want to miss!
RACC Annual Dinner – January 28 Northwoods Banquet Center. If you are a chamber member (and why wouldn’t you be?) this is an event you won’t want to miss.
- Taste of Chocolate – February 5 Downtown Rhinelander
- Treehaven Snowshoe Tromp – February 6 Treehaven
- Rhinelander Lions Fisheree and Winter Festival – February 13-14 Boom Lake/Hodag Park
- YMCA Hodag Snow Dash and Family Fun Tromp – February 14 Hodag Park
- HoDrag Ice Drag Races – February 27 Boom Lake. The weather is getting colder and ice is forming so we anticipate a fun and unique event on Boom Lake!
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade – March 12 Downtown Rhinelander
- Hodag Home Show – March 19 Rhinelander High School. Plan on stopping by between 9 and 4 to check out the exhibitors, win prizes, enjoy the entertainment, and more!
- Rhinelander Optimist Easter Egg Hunt – March 26 Pioneer Park.
Contact the Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce at 715-365-7464 or visit our website at www.ExploreRhinelander.com.