Letter: Response to Gumness letter by Charlie Gullan
I would like to comment on a letter from Dick and Gail Gumness in the Dec. 7 Star Journal, “Elected officials take heed.”
The Gumnesses say the Republicans should lie down and let the Democrats have what they want because the majority of Americans elected [President Obama].
Well, the majority of the Americans gave the Republicans clear control of the House. President Obama received four million less votes than he did in 2007. He won by 3.6 percent, half of his 2008 margin. So should the 48 percent who voted for Romney not have a say? Finally, Governor Walker won by 7 percent in both elections. Did the Democrats lie down? Did Dick and Gail lie down? They fought the governor in every way imaginable. The Gumnesses are hypocrites.
Dick and Gail go on to say that Senator McCain should stop wasting time. They are speaking of the Benghazi massacre. Senator McCain and the American people will stop talking about Benghazigate when three questions are answered: Why was the embassy left unguarded when there was plenty of advance warning of an attack? Why did we not respond to the calls for help during the attack? Why did the administration blame the attack on an obscure video for weeks after the attack when it was known from the onset that it was a terrorist attack?
It took two years for the Watergate investigation to run its course. No one died at Watergate. I would like to think that this could be resolved sooner. However, I don’t see anyone in the Democratic party who would go to the White House and tell the president, “The time is up,” as Barry Goldwater did.
Charlie Gullan, Eagle River
- Hats Off: School District of Rhinelander
- Letter: Communist threat still exists by Elizabeth Thomas
- Letter: Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation is flawed by Joyce Luedke
- Letter: Successful contract negotiations should serve as an example by Greg Pence
- Letter: Reader angered about school game by Bev Everson
- Letter: Governor Walker’s performance is poor by Richard Laddusire
- Letter: Mining committee in need of changes by Karl Fate
- Letter: Treat the flag with respect (3)
- Letter: Open Letter to Senator Tiffany by Yolan Mistele
- Letter: Taxpayers should attend open book meeting by Kristina Ostermann