Letter: The Time Has Come by Jim Hohman
When my sons were young, we read and reread Dr. Suess books. The simple rhyme and rhythm made the stories easy to memorize, so even before they could read, they would recite the stories as I read them aloud. One phrase from those stories keeps echoing in my mind as I think about the fiscal situation our country faces today: "The Time Has Come, the Time Is Now."
As a retired person fortunate to have both a pension and Social Security (with Medicare), I can afford to maintain a decent lifestyle. If we allow the Bush era tax cuts to expire for the middle class, my wife and I will need to look at ways to cut our spending to offset the increase in taxes. What we cut will come out of what we spend within the local economy. Multiply our situation by thousands of families and the economic impact on the Northwoods economy will be devastating. How many small businesses will be forced to close? The potential for a domino effect leading to a recession is very real.
So, "The Time Has Come, the Time Is Now," for Congressman Duffy to stand up for his constituents who are not in the top 2 percent, and to sign the bill to keep the middle class taxes from rising. The U.S. Senate has already passed the legislation and the president said he will sign the bill.
Presently, the House of Representatives, where Congressman Duffy works, is refusing to sign on for middle class tax relief unless it also protects the likes of Donald Trump, insurance company CEOs and hedge fund managers.
Congressman Duffy, "The Time Has Come, the Time Is Now." Are you going to support the 98 percent of us in your district who need tax relief to maintain a basic lifestyle, or are you going to stand firm on protecting the wealthy 2 percent?
Jim Hohman, Rhinelander
- Letter: Just a bullfrog by Kirstin Morken
- Hats Off: Crescent Elementary Kindergarten, Rhinelander Café & Pub
- Hats Off: James Williams Middle School
- Letter: Community shows great support for grads by Kathy Richards-Bess
- Hats Off: Crescent School students
- Letter: Complete survey to keep Harshaw Post Office open by Betty Jung
- Letter: Cat owners responsible for keeping pets at home by P.J. Johnson (1)
- Letter: The time to truly honor troops is now by Mikayla Nuszkiewicz and Stephanie Kuski
- Letter: Hunting wolves with dogs is inhumane by Shirley Clements
- Hats Off: School District of Rhinelander