Letter: In support of mammograms by Angie Peterson
Thermography websites will state, "even though thermography is clearly superior to the mammogram in many respects, it is recommended in addition to a mammogram and while the procedures work well together, if only one were to be given, it is likely that most physicians would recommend thermography."
The American Cancer Society website states, "Thermography is a way to measure and map the heat on the surface of the breast using a special heat-sensing camera. It is based on the idea that the temperature rises in areas with increased blood flow and metabolism, which could be a sign of a tumor. Thermography has been around for many years, and some scientists are still trying to improve the technology to use it in breast imaging. But no study has yet shown that it is an effective screening tool to find breast cancer early. It should NOT be used as a substitute for mammograms."
And from the breastcancer.org website: "Thermography has been available for several decades, but no study has shown that it's a good screening tool to detect breast cancer early, when the cancer is most treatable. The American Cancer Society does not recommend thermography as a replacement for mammograms. Thermography may be used to supplement information from a mammogram and help identify cancers that are close to the skin. Still, thermography can't find cancers that are deeper in the breast and it can't detect small cancers."
Ladies, do not miss the chance of detecting that deep-seated cancerous tumor you may have. I was hesitant to have a mammogram, but friends encouraged me, and to my surprise, a tumor was found and, praises God, treatable! I encourage all to have a mammogram!
A breast cancer survivor, going on four years…
Angie Peterson, Rhinelander
- Viewpoint: Writer enjoyed recent column about Senior Nutrition Program
- Viewpoint: Writer reminds to shop local on Small Business Saturday
- Viewpoint: Author enjoyed student performance
- Viewpoint: Hats Off
- Viewpoint: The United States should return to space exploration
- Viewpoint: Writer feels anti-mine letter was misleading
- Viewpoint: Author is against Wisconsin wolf hunt
- Viewpoint: Writer dismisses pro-mining defense letter
- Viewpoint: Writer claims House Republicans flip-flopping on Healthcare
- Viewpoint: It’s never too late to say ‘thank you’ to our nation’s Veterans: even at the end of life