By Bill Clow
Director, Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce
Happy Father’s Day
June 19 is Father’s Day and it is the perfect opportunity to take your Dad out for a special meal. Many Rhinelander restaurants are offering specials for Dad’s special day! Check out the Chamber’s Facebook page (@RhinelanderChamber) for a list of some member restaurants that have Father’s Day specials!
Treat your visitors well!
Now that summer is here many of you will start getting phone calls and emails from out of the area friends and relatives who want to experience the magic of the Northwoods. When they do visit, take the opportunity to visit some of the many local attractions that you may not have visited on your own. Take advantage of the many shopping options throughout the Rhinelander area. Enjoy a meal or a beverage at our excellent restaurants and taverns! For inspiration and ideas, stop by the Chamber office for an area guide or our “101 Things to do in Rhinelander” brochure. You can also get information from our website, www.explorerhinelander.com.
Downtown Rhinelander: Open for Business
There are many reasons that we should all be shopping and dining in downtown Rhinelander this summer, but here are some of my favorite reasons:
1. Many downtown merchants are having specials and sales to encourage your patronage!
2. You can experience downtown in a new and interesting way. Pedestrian access has been carefully maintained during the construction.
3. You can watch the construction up close.
4. You can participate in the Hodag Scavenger Hunt (contact the Chamber for info) and win valuable prizes!
5. You will support local businesses that have supported the community in countless ways!
Boom Lake Log Jam
Saturday, June 25, 2016 – Sunday, June 26, 2016 Hodag Park
Join us for the 2016 Rhinelander Boom Lake Log Jam on Saturday, June 25th and Sunday, June 26th in beautiful Hodag Park. This event is a weekend dedicated to the rich logging history of Rhinelander. Enjoy the professional lumberjack shows, logging equipment displays, live music, great food, Kids Karnival, arts & crafts show, water ski demonstration, 5 mile paddle race on Sunday and much more!
New this year – the YMCA of the Northwoods will join us at Hodag Park for their 10th Annual Hodag Run for your Life. More information on the YMCA Run for your Life can be found below.
Applications are still being taken for art & craft vendors and for food vendors. For more information contact the Rhinelander Chamber.
Hodag Run for Your Life
Saturday, June 25, 2016 8-11 a.m. Hodag Park
Join the YMCA of the Northwoods and hundreds of other runners for Rhinelander’s 10th annual Hodag Run for Your Life. The race will feature a half marathon – 13.1 miles – along with a 10K, 5K Run/Walk and Kids Chase the Hodag.
There is a new route this year because the event will coincide with the third annual Boom Lake Log Jam in Hodag Park. The half marathon, 10K and 5K will start in the park, go up to the courthouse, turn around and return to the park.
The Kids Chase the Hodag will be held in the park.
More race information, registration, and course maps can be found on the YMCA of the Northwoods website.
4th of July Parade and Fireworks
Monday, July 4, 2016 Downtown Rhinelander
Come and enjoy this annual tradition as the community of Rhinelander celebrates the 4th of July. The parade is rerouted around the construction but is still going on! See the floats, hear the music, and connect with friends! The Rhinelander Fourth of July Parade is always a good time!
The theme of 2016’s parade is “America: The Proud and The Beautiful” in recognition of the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service. Businesses, organizations, and others are invited to enter floats and vehicles into the parade for just a $5 donation to the Leathernecks of the North.
Fireworks will take place at dusk over Boom Lake and Hodag Park.
• Thank you to all the vendors, volunteers and visitors who made last Saturday’s Art Fair on the Courthouse Lawn. Thank you also to all involved with the Second Saturday in June Car Show who were great to partner with in our combined event. It seemed as if everyone had a good time on Saturday!
• One of the treats for me, and for many others on Saturday, was the opportunity to listen to the Rhinelander Area Community Band when they played at the Art Fair. For more information on the band, look for Rhinelander Area Community Band on Facebook.
Please contact the Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce if you are looking for information about area businesses, restaurants, attractions, lodging or events. Also contact us if you want more information or have any questions about anything in this column. The Chamber is open from 9 to 5 Monday through Friday and from 9 to 1 on Saturdays and holidays during the summer. You can reach me at 715-365-7464 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.