For those of you out there who think giving up chemicals means giving up gorgeousness, think again! In fact, it’s just the opposite. Here are my favorite “can’t live without” essentials for all natural and toxin free beauty.
1. Skin care: Please discontinue using anything on your skin that you would not put in your mouth. Your skin is a sponge! It absorbs whatever you put on it indirectly into the bloodstream within seconds. Truly, it is safer to drink poison than it is to bathe in it.
My all time favorite remedy for skin is Virgin Organic Coconut Oil. You can put it ANYWHERE and it will enhance that area-wrinkles, dry skin, rashes, even vaginal dryness/irritation. Coconut Oil is probably the one thing I use most because not only do I use it on my skin, but I put it in my hair, cook with it and eat it plain! It’s truly a miracle substance. Your daily regimen is not complete without it. For myself, coconut oil is really the only thing I need for my face and body moisturizer.
As far as soap, look for something that will not strip your natural oils and change the delicate pH balance. Use a skin brushing technique in the shower weekly to lift off the dead cells, but between times, only use the soap in the areas that require it (armpits and groin).
2. Hair care: Again, if you want to strip your hair of its essential nutrients and change the optimal pH, by all means, use shampoo and conditioner containing chemicals like laurel and laureth sulfates or anything that ends in -eum (petroleum solvents). These and other chemicals will strip your hair of its optimal pH level and leave it either too dry or too oily.
This may be hard to believe, but your body actually knows exactly what pH is best for your hair! If we could get back to nature and just allow that to work for us, the time we spend on beautifying our hair would be cut drastically. Check your local health food store for organic options. Once you start, it may take a couple weeks for your hair to completely detoxify all of the “junk” (so give it some time before you run back to your chemicals), but once it does, you will be very happy with the results. As far as hair dye, there are many great organic alternatives, and many salons starting to use them, and in my opinion, they work great!
3. Nails: Oh I just love the nail stickers! If you are someone who must have your fingernails or toenails painted, try the stickers. They have come a long way since they were introduced years ago. They are certainly non-toxic. They stick on and then peel off when you’re ready to change. My toenail stickers typically last a good two to three weeks!
Acetates are the extremely detrimental toxins found in polish and polish remover. Breathing this into your lungs every couple of weeks is not a good plan if you are counting on longevity. There are also a few great toxin-free polish alternatives.
4. Makeup: Mineral powder foundations that do not contain titanium as well as eye shadow, mascara and liners that are chemical free are really starting to be commonplace in many health food stores and natural makeup companies. Just do a bit of research to find what works for you!
5. Perfume: There is not much I can think of that adds more toxin to the environment, into the lungs, and through the skin, then a daily dose of perfume made in a lab. Using perfume not only toxifies yourself, but those around you as well! I know how it feels to smell yummy though! As an alternative, chose an essential oil (or a blend of oils) that compliments you. Not only will you be diminishing your toxic load, but you will be adding health to your body by using natural and pure essential oils!
6. There is nothing that beautifies the skin and hair and keeps you looking young and sassy than a clean diet and exercise! If you desire to be gorgeous for years to come, eliminate sugar, and make sure your digestive tract is working like a charm (your skin, hair and nails are a reflection of your digestive tract). To optimize your health, you should be having at least two bowel movements daily, take a good quality fish oil supplement, ingest probiotics (in supplement form and foods like kimchee, sauerkraut and kombucha), and drinking about half your body weight in spring or filtered water (with lemon even better!) Add 30 minutes of exercise four to five times per week, and you’re sure to be turning heads beautiful lady!
As always, I am here to answer your health questions! Start implementing your toxin free changes for gorgeousness today!
The information provided by Dr. Allen-Bergman in this column, or by any of her businesses, agents or employees, is for educational purposes only, and should not be interpreted as recommendations for a specific treatment plan, product, course of action or medical treatment/advice. If you would like further information on this or any other articles, visit EducatingWellness.com. Send questions to email@example.com, or mail to Fit & Fab, Star Journal, 24 W. Rives St., Rhinelander, WI 54501. All submissions will be treated in a confidential manner.